Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Bottle Wrapping



It is typical that I find myself in the middle of several different projects and I take pictures of them but rarely sit down to blog anymore. Blogging is going to be one of my New Year's Resolutions so I guess I can start practicing.


I had seen some bottles on Pinterest that were wrapped in hemp or twine.

Like these: Wrapped Bottles

I was unable to find either twine or hemp cheaply or quickly so I decided to try wrapping mine with 4 ply yarn by Peaches and Cream. I have liked this yarn in the past for other projects because it has a more string-like texture (not so fuzzy or fluffy as traditional yarns) and comes in different variegated often muted colors. I choose this one to start:
 The first bottle I chose was an old  gin bottle. I liked the shape and had saved it for the color (which ended up being kind of moot.) I had a hard time deciding what to use to fix the yarn to the bottle. Some blogs suggest glue, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without making a mess (since I wanted to wrap it sitting on my bed watching Star Trek the Next Generation .) What I ended up using was some very heavy double sided industrial tape my husband had, but I think carpet tape or the like might work as well. I secured the ends with krazy glue.

Here is my first attempt:













I like the way this yarn wrapped. It was easy to keep in place and thick enough to pile row on row without too much difficulty. I also like the randomness of the color blocks. '
The second I tried used a variegated yarn that transitioned from beige to red to beige to brown. On the skein it looked mottled but when wrapped it became striped. (This makes sense, I just hadn't considered that the shape of the bottle and the repetition would cause a striped pattern.) I also spray painted the bottle before I wrapped it. I am still trying to decide what I think.













I feel like striped pattern might not be bad under other circumstances, but the neck of the bottle kind of looks like it is sporting an eighties wristband.

No comments: